• Ivy Cottage in 1890

    Ivy Cottage was built in 1634 as the towns workhouse. The workhouse itself consisted of the main house (Ivy Cottage), and a series of hovels in what is now the practice staff car park. The workhouse was used to house the destitute of the town, often the elderly and infirm, and housed around 20 people. Ivy Cottage was used as the town workhouse for just over 200 years, right up until 1838, when a new, purpose built workhouse was built on Alma Road. In April 1839 the building was put up for sale, and it's furniture sold at auction. From census records, we know that in 1861 Ann Knowles, a boarding house keeper, was living here with two daughters and a boarder. By 1871 Charles Marriss, a stone mason and builder, was living in Ivy Cottage with a wife and child. A joiner named Joseph Blackmoor was living in Ivy Cottage in 1881 with his wife, daughter and niece, and by 1891 it was just Joseph and his wife. The first photograph we have of Ivy Cottage was taken around 1890. Joseph died in 1897 and by 1901 Joseph’s son Henry, a ‘cigar and beer traveler’ was living in Ivy Cottage.
  • Ivy Cottage in 1920

    Shortly after 1901, the first dentist moved into Ivy Cottage, and began using the premises as a dental surgery. He lived above the practice, as was common in those days, and his son Cliff Fisher, was born in the front room (now reception!) in the early 1900’s. Cliff later became a dentist himself and lived in and ran the practice until the late 1960’s. The dental chair was originally in the bay window of what is now reception, to catch as much light as possible. We have a picture of Ivy Cottage in the 1920’s complete with ‘Fisher for Teeth’ advertising on the front of the building. We also have a copy of a pre-1921 advert for the practice, showing the cattle market in front of Ivy Cottage. The Town Hall was later built on the site of the cattle market.

    Old Pre 1921 Advert

  • Ivy Cottage in 1960

    After his retirement in the late 1960’s Cliff sold the practice (but not Ivy Cottage itself) to a pair of Irish dentists, who also lived above the practice. Shortly after that, they sold the practice onto Clive Tattley, who later went into partnership with George Anderson. We have another picture of the building as it looked in 1960.

  • Ivy Cottage in 1993

    Kevin Gardner first joined the practice in 1981 after he qualified from Sheffield Dental School, and in 1985 he bought the practice with his wife Diana, who also started to work there. The practice was renamed Gardner's Dental Practice. We have another picture of Ivy Cottage as it was in 1993 when Kevin and Diana bought it from Cliff’s then widow Joan, after Cliff sadly died in 1991. The Gardner's ran the practice right up until 2013, when Kevin retired and sold the practice to Dr Becky Davidson and Dr Lee-Anne Wilmot

  • Ivy Cottage in 2014

    In December 2013, local dentists, Dr Becky Davidson and Dr Lee-Anne Wilmot took up the challenge to become the next set of custodians of Ivy Cottage. Although Diana Gardner, the previous owner stayed on as an associate, Becky and Lee-Anne renamed it to Ivy Cottage Dental Care, to mark the next era.